A construction crew working near residence halls busted a gas line, causing students and faculty within a one-block radius of the leak to be evacuated from the premises Tuesday afternoon.
Felipe Garza, chief of police, assessed the state of the leak and safety of TAMUK students. “The construction crew was working under sidewalks and hit a gas line. We did not know how far it spread and decided to cover the immediate area for safety measures. The SSC crew found a shut off valve. Once that was established, we were able to allow people back inside,” said Garza.
Student residence halls located on the west side of campus and the Javelina Dining Hall were given the directive by university police to vacate the area until given further instruction.
Jake Gonzalez, communications senior and student worker, noted that an alarm went off within College Hall, instructing those inside to leave the area. Gonzalez recalled previous cases where the alarm was only a drill, but is thankful that those types of routines are implemented to ensure the wellbeing of everyone’s safety.
Yamilex Garcia, junior in psychology said, “My R.A. knocked on my door and told us to evacuate and go to Mesquite Village West.”
Dr. Terisa Riley, senior v.p. for fiscal and student affairs, sent out a mass email to both students and faculty addressing the gas leak mishap and how the menu at the Javelina Dining Hall will be altered due to gas line repairs.
Director of Communications, Adriana Garza-Flores said, “It is reassuring that the emergency management team takes situations like these seriously—keeping the safety of campus in mind.”